Gå til innhold

For Our International Fans

alltidblaa
 Del

Anbefalte innlegg

I'm not seeing any English subtitles on Ingo's movie though.

You might have to press a button:

captions.PNG

Yeah, I tried that but I'm still not seeing them for some reason. It's no problem for me as I understand Norwegian so it's fine as long as it's working for everyone else. (Great movie, by the way). :-)

Endret av Stuart
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

I'm not seeing any English subtitles on Ingo's movie though.

You might have to press a button:

captions.PNG

Yeah, I tried that but I'm still not seeing them for some reason. It's no problem for me as I understand Norwegian so it's fine as long as it's working for everyone else. (Great movie, by the way). :-)

Embedded youtube videos sometimes dont work properly, I got the subtitles to work by pressing the subtitles button, and then selecting English.

And may I also suggest that this thread is pinned on the forum, so the thread doesn't disappear for our international fans :)

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Hi, and a warm welcome to the Stabæk family :)

Brian Deane - coach for Sarpsborg 08 (another tippeligaen team) recently compared the quality somwhere between the bottom of the championship and top of leauge one. He should know, and I think he is quite spot on.

Stabæk has lost some players since the surprice promotion last year, so the squad is quite small. We've got a talentet goalkeeper, 3 reliable defenders, some good wingers and have recently brought in a promising playmaker up front. But we are lacking players in central midfield and a prolific goalscorer. Also we conceded an average of 1,5 goals per game last season so we should perhaps do some more in defence? But this could perhaps be remedied by bringing in a strong defensive midfielder.

In adition we have a lot of promising talents coming up from our youth academy. Some had their breakthrough last year, but Tippeligaen is a different ballgame and we can not depend on all these youngsters. We need to bring in some more experienced players to give the talent some time and help to evolve.

@ringo

Endret av @ringo
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

One of my personal favorites that we've ever had in our club was someone you might know: Daigo Kobayashi. He was only here for one season and didn't really get too much attention from anyone outside of Stabæk but he was magnificent nonetheless.

The greatest player and personality in the club history is inarguably Daniel Nannskog (Swedish-American). He's more of a club legend than an internationally recognizable player though.

Some of the best players that later moved on to bigger clubs include names like:

Somen Tchoyi (Cameroon; Red Bull Salzburg, West Bromwich, Augsburg)

Anthony Annan (Ghana; Schalke, Vitesse, Osasuna)

Christian Wilhelmsson (Sweden; Anderlecht, Roma, Nantes, Bolton, Deportivo La Coruña, LA Galaxy)

Tobias Linderoth (Sweden; Everton, Galatasaray)

Tommy Svindal Larsen (Norway; Nürnberg)

Frode Olsen (Norway; Sevilla)

Martin Andresen (Norway; Wimbledon, Blacburn)

Vegar Eggen Hedenstad (Norway; Freiburg)

Thomas Rogne (Norway; Celtic, Wigan)

It's difficult to compare the quality of one league to another when they never compete against eachother but I think it's not very wrong to say Tippeligaen is close to MLS in quality, probably slightly weaker. I think MLS likely has more players who would dominate in Tippeligaen than vice versa.

Endret av Perfect 7
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Hi clevelandmo.

A bit of Stabæk history for you.

As you may be aware, Stabæk won the Norwegian league a few years back in 2008. In that season we were privileged to have some of the best players that have ever graced a Norwegian football field at the club.

Here's a YouTube cavalcade of some of the goals we scored that year. The quality of some of the video is a bit dodgy, but the quality of the football certainly isn't.

Keep an eye out especially for player number 25 Alanzinho, and number 11 Daniel Nannskog. In my opinion, Nannskog is the best striker this country has ever seen.

Enjoy.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Former American players in Stabæk:

* Mikkel "Mix" Diskerud

* Sean Cunningham

* Ricardo Clark

Also Chris Henderson were in Stabæk for some months, but didn't play any official games

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the welcomes and info. I'm certainly looking forward to the start of the season and getting to know the team. I didnt realize that Ricardo Clark played for Stabaek. You probably know that Bob Bradley was widely criticized by US fans for his preference for Clark, particularly in our 2010 World Cup loss to Ghana. It was, in my opinion, an unfounded criticism based mostly on hindsight, but then again I am a fan of Bradley.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the welcomes and info. I'm certainly looking forward to the start of the season and getting to know the team. I didnt realize that Ricardo Clark played for Stabaek. You probably know that Bob Bradley was widely criticized by US fans for his preference for Clark, particularly in our 2010 World Cup loss to Ghana. It was, in my opinion, an unfounded criticism based mostly on hindsight, but then again I am a fan of Bradley.

I didn't know he got criticism for preferring Clark. But if Clark played as badly in that game as he did under his period here, I understand where the criticism comes from.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Hepp,

Still - Clark was by far our best player for the short period he was here, getting a lot of appraisal from the coaching staff. However, the team as a whole was not doing to great. To put it mildly...

@ringo

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

I didn't know he got criticism for preferring Clark. But if Clark played as badly in that game as he did under his period here, I understand where the criticism comes from.

early in the match, clark gave away the ball and it resulted in a goal by Boateng. He then received a yellow card and Bradley had to sub him out in the first half. It was a costly early sub since the game went into overtime. It's easy to look at that and criticize but then Clark had a very good game against England in the group stage. His defending was instrumental in holding them to draw.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

clark gave away the ball (...) received a yellow card

This pretty much sums up his brief spell with us. He was terrible but so was the rest of the team that year. I'm sure he's a much better player than the impression he made here. His career proves that he was. I was surprised by how technically unskilled he was though.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

clark gave away the ball (...) received a yellow card

This pretty much sums up his brief spell with us. He was terrible but so was the rest of the team that year. I'm sure he's a much better player than the impression he made here. His career proves that he was. I was surprised by how technically unskilled he was though.

"technically unskilled" is a common comment about American players. Bradley liked Clark for his defensive abilities, mostly tackling, which is why he started him against an athletic team like Ghana. At least that is what he said when asked to explain his decision to start Clark.

Did any bigger leagues ever show an interest in Daniel Nannskog?

Also, I really like Mix Diskerud as a player, and I see he came through Stabæk's (just learned how to do the æ) youth system. That bodes well for your youth set-up in my opinion but then I am no expert. Why did he leave? Mix apparently almost went to the Portland Timbers - they are my favorite MLS team. Would people want him back at Stabæk if Bradley could get him? I believe Bradley gave him his first cap for the USA.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Why did he leave? Mix apparently almost went to the Portland Timbers - they are my favorite MLS team. Would people want him back at Stabæk if Bradley could get him? I believe Bradley gave him his first cap for the USA.

Hi Clevelandmo!

Mix is out, and will NEVER return.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Why did he leave? Mix apparently almost went to the Portland Timbers - they are my favorite MLS team. Would people want him back at Stabæk if Bradley could get him? I believe Bradley gave him his first cap for the USA.

Hi Clevelandmo!

Kuk: that seems to be your PERSONAL opinion. I have never heard any Stabæk official ever express such a thing.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Hi Clevelandmo!

Kuk: that seems to be your PERSONAL opinion. I have never heard any Stabæk official ever express such a thing.

Bebe: Thats correct.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

However, Kuk - you're not alone.

Personally I'm no fan of Diskerud as I find him a bit too egocentrical for my taste. He does his best to appear the oposite though, but actions speaks louder than words.

However, that is not the main reason for why I would not welcome him back to the bluestriped shirt. As mentioned above, we first and formost need a defensiv midfielder. Diskerud is an attacking midfielder at hart. I also believe he is to young and inexperienced, lacking the necessary leadership qualities that out team needs now. We have plenty of good offensive midfielders in the squad already, and our limited budget would be much better spendt on other players.

So in my mind it would be a mistake to bring in Diskerud, and I would regard it as a really poor start for Bradley at Stabæk.

@ringo

Endret av @ringo
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Hi Clevelandmo!

how proficient are you in norwegian?
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Would people want him (Diskerud) back at Stabæk if Bradley could get him? I believe Bradley gave him his first cap for the USA.

I have only one problem with Diskerud: We can't afford him. The big question is whether the club leaders realise this or start wasting more money than we can afford again. I know they want him, but I hope they have finally learned from past mistakes. I think I see some alarming signs that Bob Bradley is a new Telenor Arena to the club leadership though; this one big thing that will magically solve every problem we have.

The Diskerud story is a bit long and complicated. The short version is that he was one of the most popular players when he was here but many fans were let down by him in the end, after all he did and the way he left. Above all Diskerud - and, importantly: his father - are very good at cynical self-promotion disguised as something else, something more sympethetic and charming. Personally I don't hold a grudge because I sort of had him figured out from the start and was never his biggest fan in the first place. I believe there is room for personalities like him but he would probably benefit in the long term if he was a bit more sincere about actions - less flash, more substance.

He is a really good player, no doubt. Just not what we need right now, and not in our price range.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
 Del

For Our International Fans
  • Opprett ny...